This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.
How To Apply For A Fuel Alcohol Permit
In order to legally make fuel alcohol one must have the proper permits. A federal fuel alcohol producer permit is available for free from the TTB. The application must be submitted and approved by the TTB before fuel alcohol is manufactured. The TTB is the division of the government that is in charge of regulating and overseeing distillation. TTB stands for Alcohol And Tobacco Tax And Trade Bureau which is part of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
Even though the Federal Government allows the manufacture of fuel alcohol with a permit it is important to realize that some states don’t allow fuel alcohol production. State distilling laws vary from state to state. Some states have no laws on owning a still, but prohibit the distillation of alcohol while other states prohibit possession of a still unless it's for fuel alcohol. States such as as North Carolina requires a state fuel alcohol permit as well as the federal fuel permit. Some states may prohibit possession of distillation equipment and distilling altogether. It is important to research local state laws before applying for a federal fuel permit.
Download the federal fuel permit here and follow along with our guide to properly fill out the alcohol fuel plant application. Our guide will focus on the small fuel alcohol production plant as production with a Clawhammer Supply, LLC still will produce less than 10,000 proof gallons a year.
1)Type Of Plant: If using a Clawhammer Supply still check the Small – 10,000 Proof Gallons or Less box.
2) Amended Permit: Leave this blank when applying for a new permit
3)Name of Owner: Type in first / middle/ and last name
4) Daytime Telephone Number: Enter full phone number
5) EIN or SSN- Enter your Social Security Number or if registered as a business use the EIN- Employer Identification Number
6) DOB: Enter the DOB for the applicants or applicants.
7) Location: Type in the street name where the small distillation plant will be located.
8) Mailing address: If the mailing address is different than the plant location enter it here. If the mailing address is the same as the plant location leave it blank.
9) Premise for Alcohol Fuel Plant Are: If you own the premise check owned by the applicant and skip to number 11.
10) If the premise is rented fill out section 10 which must be signed by the property owner.
11) Stills For Fuel Production On Plant Premises:
a) Still Manufacturer: Clawhammer Supply, LLC
b) Serial Number: The Serial Number for Clawhammer Supply, LLC is the order number
c) Kind of Still: Pot Still
d) Capacity – The Clawhammer Supply, LLC still is a pot still and a pot still may be shown by giving the wine gallon capacity of the pot still.
a. The 1 gallon Clawhammer Supply, LLC still 1 gallon
b. The 5 gallon Clawhammer Supply, LLC still 5 gallons
c. The 10 gallon Clawhammer Supply, LLC still 10 gallons
12) Basic Materials to be used in production of spirits: If you are planning on using a variety of fermentables select the appropriate boxes. I selected grain, sugar based crops, and fruit or fruit products as these are the fermentables I use when making a mash.
13) Security Measures: On our property we have a fenced in yard and a distilled spirits building which is locked.
14) Diagram of plant premise: The diagram of your plant premises may be drawn by hand and does not have to be drawn to scale.
15) I will comply with the clean water act: Check I will comply with the clean water act and don’t discharge into navigable water s of the U.S. Navigable waters are waterways that provide a channel for commerce and transportation of people and goods.
16) Skip: Only applies to Medium and Large Alcohol fuel plant applications
17) Sign the form
18) Title: Owner
19) Enter the date
Print out 3 copies of the TTB application and any attachments (the drawing of the premise); make sure the attachments are labeled with first and last name and are printed on the same size paper as the application. Mail the completed application to: Director, National Revenue Center, 550 Main St Ste 8002, Cincinnati, OH 45202-5215. If required by your state, submit a copy of your approved application to the alcohol beverage agency or other State agency. It took 3 months to receive our fuel alcohol permit.