This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Products sold are intended to be used in accordance with the proper licensing or permitting procedure of the respective jurisdiction of the user. Read our complete legal summary for more info.
This is our crack at a dank tasting, hemp and CBD infused beer. We also added some blueberries, because it sounded good. We're calling it Blueberry Kush.
This beer didn't turn out exactly how we had hoped but it is absolutely stellar. It's a light lager with a hint of blueberry and a lot of body. Considering the amount of hops we added, it's not at all as bitter as we expected.
The addition of hemp gives the beer a very slightly nutty flavor and the CBD works with the alcohol to provide a one, two knockout punch that is sure to make you mellow. Note, CBD is a byproduct of hemp plants which generally contains little to no THC. If you need to pass a drug test, make sure you get 100% pure CBD.
How to Brew Hemp & CBD Beer
This beer is brewed using standard brew-day procedures. However, hemp and CBD are added at the end of the boil. Also, because it's a lager the beer needs to be fermented at a lower temperature and then lagered at 35 degrees for a few weeks.
- 7.65 gallons water
- 9lbs 10.4oz Pilsner Malt
- 2.00 oz Acidulated malt (2-row)
- 1.85 ounces Columbus Hops
- 1 ounce hemp powder
- 6 ounces freeze dried blueberries
- 1 gram CBD powder
- Heat water to 154F and rest for 60 minutes.
- Heat to a boil (for 60 minutes total).
- Add 0.45 oz. Columbus hops with 60 minutes left in the boil.
- Add 0.15 oz. Columbus hops with 45 minutes left in the boil.
- Add 0.25 oz. Columbus hops with 15 minutes left in the boil.
- Add 1.00 oz. Columbus hops with 0 minutes left in the boil.
- Add 1.00 oz. hemp powder with 0 minutes left in the boil.
- Cool to 65 degrees
- Add Yeast - White Labs WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast.
- Add 6 ounces of Freeze dried blueberries to fermenter.
- Ferment for 3 weeks at 55F.
- Remove blueberries from the fermenter.
- Add 1 gram of CBD to the fermenter.
- Lager at 33F for 3-4 weeks.
- Keg or bottle, carbonate, and drink!
This beer turned out great. It was less hoppy than we expected, but it's delicious. This is an excellent summer beer. The CBD didn't dissolve as we excepted, but its effects can still be felt. Beware, after a few of these you'll be ready for a nap.