This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.
We have a bit of a different brew day for this one. We teamed up with tech entrepreneur Charles Hoskinson, founder of IOHK and the ADA / Cardano cryptocurrency and blockchain platform. Why? Well, the record keeping aspect of blockchain technology could actually be used to improve the quality of beer, wine and spirits. We talk about that while brewing a Lavender Farmhouse beer made with Kveik yeast.
Brew Day Video
Here's the entire Lavender Farmhouse recipe for the folks who would like to brew this recipe. Note, be very careful to not "over expose" the beer to the lavender flowers. It's very easy to overpower the beer with lavender which will make it taste like soap!
- 7.86 gallons
- 7 lbs, 12 oz Pale Malt
- 1lb 12 oz Vienna Malt
- 1lb 11.5 oz Munich Malt
- 3oz Huell Melon hops
- 2 oz Liberty hops
- 1 oz Willamette hops
- 0.25 oz dried lavender flowers
- 1 package Voss Kveik yeast
- Mash for 45 minutes at 152 degrees
- Boil for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 oz of Huell Melon at beginning of boil
- Add the rest of the hops with 10 minutes left in the boil.
- Add the lavender flowers (to the hop silo) once heat is turned off.
- Chill wort to 70F
- Add 1 package of Voss Kveik yeast
- Ferment for 1.5 weeks at room temperature
This beer will NOT be good right out of the fermenter. In our experience it will need at least a week or two to mature.