This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.
Outdoor Fire Cooking - Turkey Sausage and Dumpling Stew
In this video we make turkey sausage and dumpling stew with a side of sweet and tart cranberry sauce. The entire process was completed in cast iron cookware over an open flame, outdoors. This is a great bushcraft meal. We could also see the overland crowd being into this meal. Heck even car campers and back yard enthusiasts should make it. Enjoy!
Turkey Stew Ingredients
- 3 table spoons of olive oil
- Turkey Sausage
- A lot of Salt and pepper
- A few green onions
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 carrots, chopped up pretty well
- 2 tablespoons of mustard (dijon)
- A palm full of fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- A cup or so of white wine
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- A few pinches of salt
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of butter milk (or, regular milk with 1/2 a tablespoon of lemon juice added)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- A few pinches of salt and pepper
Stew and Dumpling Directions
- Build a fire and let it burn down to coals. Put the dutch oven beside it and turn every once in a while to pre-heat it.
- Once ready, spread coals and add olive oil and turkey sausage to cast iron, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Brown the turkey whilst breaking it up intermittently. Add more oil if needed.
- Add all the vegetables (minus the shroomies) and stir into the turkey. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the mustard and stir together.
- At this point, it's likely that there's a lot of gunk built up on the bottom of the cast iron. Never fear, "deglase" that mess by stirring in the white wine and gently scraping the bottom of the cast iron with a wooden spatula.
- Add the spices, chicken stock, and mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Whilst the soup is heating up, make the dumplings by mixing all of the dry ingredients together and then adding the melted butter, sour cream and buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Using two spoons, make little dough balls and add them to the soupy stew.
- Return the pot to the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Once it's done, pull to the side and leave it meditate until the next step is done.
Cranberry Sauce (make after dumplings are in the stew) Ingredients
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice juice of 2-3 oranges
- 1/2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
Cranberry Sauce Directions
- In a small cast iron, add cranberries, sugar, orange juice and pomegranate juice.
- Place over heat and stir intermittently
- The cranberries will break open, which is how you'll know it's done. As it cools it will thicken.