This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.
Atomic Cherries are some of the most fun party favors around. This particular recipe is great to bust out at parties because we use some apple spice to jazz it up a bit. It'll be a great ice-breaker for any gathering. Don't be shy with the proportions. We're just making a small batch here, but recommend making at least a quart or so for a decent sized party.
1. Start with raw cherries. The first step is to wash them and throw out any baddies. Set the washed keepers aside in a bowl.
2. Next remove the stems. Leaving the stems on might make the final product taste bitter, and that's not what we're going for here.
3. After that take a knife and score the cherries so there is a slit that runs the entire circumference of the cherry. Don't cut it in half. Don't slice it or dice it. Just score it.
4. After scoring, pack a jar full of the cherries. We're using a small jar here because this will be a gift for one of our friends (he's kind of a lightweight).
5. Finally, fill the bottle. We normally use high proof store bought white whiskey (think ol' smoky moonshine), but this is our holiday edition so we're going to top the jar off with some apple pie moonshine, made with one of our kits. This will add some nice spice to the cherries. It also adds a great cherry flavor to the alcohol, which can also be drank.
6. The last step is to age the cherries for at least 24 hours, but they get better with age. We recommend making the batch and then putting it into the refrigerator for a week before eating.