This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.
Pineapple Moonshine Recipe
Pineapple moonshine is a refreshing cocktail that merges tropical flavors of ripe pineapple (and a hint of lemon) with the bold kick of traditional, high proof moonshine. In this article we present our absolute favorite pineapple moonshine recipe.
This flavored moonshine recipe captures all the natural sugars and flavors from fresh pineapple and transforms plain store bought moonshine such as Ole Smoky into a sweet alcoholic drink. But don’t be fooled, it will still pack a punch. This homemade infusion is perfect for those who enjoy sweet and fruity spirits and can be easily made using a few simple ingredients.
What is Pineapple Moonshine?
Before we describe how to make pineapple moonshine, let's first define pineapple moonshine. There are actually several ways to make pineapple moonshine. The easiest way to do it, which is what we present in this article, is to buy high proof spirits from a store and add fruit and sugar. This is called an infusion, and it's a great way to make pineapple moonshine.
Pineapples can also be juiced, fermented, and then distilled (in stainless steel still like this) to create pineapple moonshine (or pineapple brandy) made from the very fruit itself. Making this type of pineapple alcohol is a complicated process which also requires federal and state permits (in the United states). It also produces a spirit that only has the essence of pineapple and is much more muted than the full flavored moonshine recipe described below.
Ever wonder how companies like Ole Smokey make moonshine? Here's an educational tutorial on how to make moonshine.
What Proof is Pineapple Moonshine?
Homemade pineapple moonshine can be pretty much any proof you want depending on how strong the alcohol is that you start with and how much juice you want to add to it. If you start with 190 proof Everclear and only add pineapple chunks with no juice, it's going to be extremely strong. In fact, making it that strong is probably a bit overkill. We'd suggest starting with something in the range of 100-150 proof. After adding all of the ingredients, it'll still be over 80 proof.
Will Pineapple Moonshine Go Bad?
There is a point at which pineapple moonshine will be past it's prime. However at which point this occurs depends on how strong it was to start with (proof) and how it was stored. We recommend making pineapple moonshine at 80 proof or above and then storing it refrigerator, or better yet, in a freezer. If made and stored this way it will last a long time.
High Proof Pineapple Moonshine Recipe
Great pineapple moonshine starts with quality ingredients. You'll want a large, ripe pineapple, and lemon plus some sugar and some high proof alcohol. Technically "moonshine" is traditionally made with corn, barley and sometimes rye or wheat. It's also usually pretty strong! You have a few options here. You could opt for Ole Smoky's Original, coming in at 100 proof. You could use something a bit stronger like White Dog by Buffalo Trace, which is 125 proof. Or you could go all out and pick up some Everclear 151. This is a choose your own adventure scenario.
Please not that it's perfectly legal to make your own flavored moonshine at home using this method, but you can't make this and then sell it. That'd be illegal.
Pineapple Moonshine Ingredients
- 1 ripe pineapple- (A pineapple is ripe if a top leaf can be plucked with ease)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 bottle 750 ml of moonshine – Ole Smoke, Everclear, etc.
- 1 small lemon
Pineapple Moonshine Recipe Steps
- We cut pineapple into small squares.
- We distributed the pineapple evenly between two mason jars
- We cut the lemon into thin slices
- We distributed lemon slices evenly into mason jars
- Added ¼ cup sugar to each jar
- Poured a bottle of Ole Smoky Moonshine (Everclear/vodka are good substitutions) until brim of each moonshine jar.
- Sealed mason jars.
- We made sure to shake the jars daily.
- We stored in a cool place for one week- we used our refrigerator. We found the longer the fruit sits in Ole Smoky moonshine the more flavors the alcohol will pull from the Pineapple. We recommend storing the jars up to a year in a refrigerator for maximum flavor.
We like to sip on this straight out of the jar after it's aged a few months. However, the moonshine pineapple chunks are delicious once they've had a chance to soak up some of the alcohol. However, be careful, they're deceptively easy to eat.
Bootleg Pineapple "Moonshine" Recipe
Bootleg Pineapple "Moonshine" is the perfect paradise drink recipe; with elements of coconut and a touch more consistency with added pineapple juice mask the alcohol really well making it a very smooth and refreshing drink. This short and simple process makes pineapple flavored moonshine, fast. With taste this good it can be deceiving, so please drink responsibly.
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 1 750 ml Ole Smoky moonshine- (Everclear and vodka are good substitutions)
- 1 can (qt) pineapple juice
- 1 16oz can coconut water
- 6 tablespoons of brown sugar
- We cut pineapple into chunks
- We added pineapple juice, coconut water, chunks into a pot .
- We brought everything up to a boil
- We then removed it from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- We added the Ole Smoky Moonshine
- We stirred it well.
- We then pour it into individual jars
- We stored it in refrigerator for one week. We found the the longer the jars sit in the fridge the better it tastes.
Pineapple Moonshine Cocktails
If you'd rather just make a glass of something to sip on as opposed to an entire mason jar full, we've got you covered. Here are a few of our favorite pineapple moonshine cocktails.
Sweet Summer Shine Cooler
- 1oz Pineapple moonshine made from Ole Smoky
- .5oz Peach Moonshine made from Ole Smoky
- Orange juice
- Poured over Ice and a splash of cherry juice
- Garnished with orange and cherry
Shine in Paradise
- 1.5 oz Pineapple moonshine made from Ole Smoky
- 2 oz Amaretto
- Splash of Cherry Juice
- 1.5 oz of Pineapple moonshine made from Ole Smoky
- 2 oz Lime juice
- 1 oz Lemon Lime Soda
- Pineapple infused chunks
- Poured over ice
- Garnished with lime
We made these cocktail recipe with store bought moonshine.
Do you have recipe for cherry bounce moonshine for a 20 gallon still.
Can you use canned pineapple if its in its own juice.
this is the biggest drink i ever thast in my hole life a super drink for al partys this is hundred % rock and roll so ill says happy full moonshine to al of you and bless this country of a realy good rock and roll to al .
Lately I have been making pineapple tepache, great drink on it’s own! but use it as mixer with coconut rum “fabulous”
Anyone know how many jars you get from the moonshine recipe ??
Will the pineapple moonshine need to be strained? Also it says store in the refrigerator for at least a 5-6 days after that can you take it out and store it in a cool place or does it have to stay in the refrigerator for up to a year?
how much sugar, cornmeal, and yeast do I use for just 1 qt of moonshine?
Do you have to seal them in a special way or is it literally just putting the top on the jar?
Will the pineapple moonshine need to be strained? Also will it have a thick syrup In the botTom of the jar
Wonderful recipe. Pineapple Moonshine is a nice recipe. I try this recipe last Sunday and really it was very tasty and delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us.