Fast & FREE Shipping!

This blog provides information for educational purposes only. Read our complete summary for more info.

January 20, 2013
Last updated

Methanol - Will Moonshine Make You Blind?

Owner of Clawhammer Supply

Moonshine and Blindness 

When a commercial distiller is making moonshine (think Ole' Smokey or Sugarlands), a very real safety concern is creating a product that is poisonous. Fortunately, as long as a few simple safety precautions are followed, commercially distilled moonshine will NOT cause blindness, death, or even a bad hangover. In the article below we'll explain what could cause moonshine to make someone go blind and we'll also explain how a commercial distiller would be absolutely, positively, 100% sure that this won't happen.
moonshine methanol poison blind

Before we get move on, a reminder: Distilling alcohol is illegal without a federal fuel alcohol or distilled spirit plant permit as well as relevant state permits. Our distillation equipment is designed for legal uses only and the information in this article is for educational purposes only. Please read our complete legal summary for more information on the legalities of distillation.

Methanol Toxicity

Methyl alcohol (methanol) is the bad stuff that could be found in moonshine (or any distilled spirit for that matter). Pure methanol is very dangerous and it is definitely able to cause blindness and even kill people. As little as 10 ml of pure methanol could blind someone and as little as 30 ml could kill someone. 30 milliliters is equivalent to the amount of liquid in a standard shot glass.

How is Methanol Produced?

Methanol is found naturally in certain fruits and vegetables. It may also be produced as an unintended byproduct during the fermentation process. Spirits distilled from fruits, such as apples, oranges, and grapes, are more likely to contain methanol. Both beer and wine generally contain methanol. Studies have determined that wine can contain as much as 329 mg/L and beer may contain somewhere on the order of 16 mg/L. This makes distilled wine (grappa, brandy, etc.) potentially more dangerous than all grain shine - such as corn whiskey.

Why is Methanol A Concern for Distillers?

If wine contains methanol but doesn't pose a risk of methanol poisoning then why is it potentially dangerous to drink once distilled? The difference is that the methanol concentration in, say, 5 gallons of wine, is evenly distributed among the 5 gallons. For someone to ingest a potentially dangerous amount they would need to ingest more than 5 gallons....or 28 bottles! 

During the distillation process methanol is concentrated at the start of the production run because it has a lower boiling point than ethanol and water. The boiling point of methanol is approximately 148 degrees farenheit, which is quite a bit lower than ethanol (the good stuff). This means that methanol (148F boiling temp) will start to boil before the ethanol (174F boiling temp). This is why commercial distillers always throw out the first bit of shine they produce from each production run (more on this below).

Here are a few examples of the dangers of methanol:

  • If 5 gallons of wine containing the abovementioned concentration of methanol (329mg/L) were distilled, there could be as much as 8 mL of methyl alcohol in the first jar - a potentially dangerous amount.
  • Scale this up to a 100 gallon batch, distilled all at the same time in a large still, and a commercial distiller could potentially have a very big problem if the methanol was not discarded. Distilling 100 gallons of wine containing 329 mg/L of methanol could result in the concentration of 40ml of methanol, which could be fatal if someone drank it all at once.

How to Remove Methanol from Moonshine

One way a commercial distiller would determine the presence of methanol is to monitor still temperature. If anything is produced by the still before wash temperature reaches 174 degrees, it's methanol. A commercial distiller will discard it. Again, methanol boils at a lower temperature than ethanol and will concentrate at the beginning of distillation runs. Additionally, commercial distillers have determined that simply discarding a standard amount per batch, based on batch size, is enough to keep things safe. The rule of thumb is to discard 1/3 of a pint jar for every 5 gallons of wash being distilled.

How much initial product to discard:

  • 1 gallon batch - discard the first 2/3 of a shot glass
  • 5 gallon batch - discard the first 1/3 of a pint jar
  • 10 gallon batch - discard the first 3/4 of a pint jar

Regardless of still temp, it's a good idea to always follow this rule of thumb. Methanol or not, the first stuff to come off the still tastes and smells like rubbing alcohol. It's by far the worst stuff in the entire production run and it isn't going to impress anyone. A commercial distiller would never drink or sell the first stuff produced by a still. Checkout our article "Making Moonshine - The Dummies' Guide" for more information on this topic.

Thanks for reading! For more safety tips, check out the 10 most important safety tips for distillers.

Kyle Brown is the owner of Clawhammer Supply, a small scale distillation and brewing equipment company which he founded in 2009. His passion is teaching people about the many uses of distillation equipment as well as how to make beer at home. When he isn't brewing beer or writing about it, you can find him at his local gym or on the running trail.

  • what is the best way of getting the highest alcohol content in mesh using all corn or should sugar be added also

    Posted by kevin salts on March 20, 2013
  • Will a brass fitting hurt the distilling process if it is coming off the top of the stainless pot where the copper tube is coming out to the condenser/worm? If so, where could I buy a stainless steel fitting for the cooper? Suggestions welcome.

    Posted by SLE on February 24, 2013
  • Could the water that people use in the wash be substituted for say a type of juice like use applejuice instead of water when mixing ingredients???

    Posted by kcmd on February 14, 2013
  • Honny shine is nothing more than mead?? Should I let it work for the 28 days before I make a run?

    Posted by Bo mosher on February 12, 2013
  • If you run it back I would dump the first 2/3 of a pint to be sure and of course your end result I think would be higher in alcohol content……

    Posted by WVmoonshiner on February 08, 2013
  • A method I was taught is basically when the run starts that amounts are collected in small batches swirl in a small class then cup your hand around and look into the glass if the vapor makes your eye burn it is not good enough to drink. I do discard it as not drinkable but I still collect and keep it. One I can use it to offer up proof that I have it since I am making fuel to add back lol second it makes a good part cleaner can be cut with water to sanatize etc.

    Posted by PaKettle on February 07, 2013
  • would it be a good idea to bring the mash to a slower boil when distilling and hold it at the temperature at which methanol boils then after a while turn up the heat to 174 to get your ethanol or (alcohol)?

    Posted by alex on February 05, 2013
  • Love your site! I’ll be an owner of one of your stills very soon! Lots of great info, keep it coming!

    Posted by Joe Maxwell on February 04, 2013
  • would it be a good practice to bring mash up to 150 for say 5 mins, the bring up to the 174 to boil off the methanol

    Posted by jonathan on February 03, 2013
  • Your site has come a long way since I first looked at it. Great work! The info shared here is spot on and needed to help in start up. I look forward to ordering a kit in the next few weeks. Beer and wine have been a lot of fun to make but its time to move up a bit!

    Posted by Matt on January 26, 2013
  • what would cause stomach ach,,/sensation to go poop..very mild but irratating..apple brany..the heads were tossed

    Posted by dennis on January 21, 2013
  • Wow! I didn’t know that making whiskey produced methanol. I thought that was a different type of distilling all together. And that bad shine was a product of shiners greed. Trying to produce shine faster by adding led battery’s or lye to the mix.

    Posted by Terry Smith on January 21, 2013
  • what if you run it back through?…..

    Posted by john caddell on January 21, 2013


Leave a comment

Please note, the design of our website does not allow us to respond directly to blog comments. Please email us directly regarding questions about products. We don't answer questions about recipes, procedures, etc. However, feel free to leave a comment or respond to comments made by others!